Home » Desserts » Watermelon Fruit Cake
Watermelon Fruit Cake – fruity and festive raw cake, made with cylinders or watermelon and decorated with seasonal fruit and berries. A guilt free dessert, that you can make yourself for any party or celebration. This is not really a strict recipe.
This is the method I use to make fruit cakes with layers of watermelon and berries. Make sure you use your imagination and the fruit you have on hand to create a beautiful summer cake. This is a fresh, no bake dessert, that photographs well, looks amazing and tastes fresh and delicious.
This is not a baked cake, that looks like watermelon. This is a cake made with fresh, raw watermelon, cut in such a way to represent cake layers and decorated with fresh fruit.
Watermelon cake trend
Some of you may have already seen those festive watermelon layer cakes that look so mouthwatering, so you want to make one for yourself. It is an “instagramable” dessert.
Made of nothing, but fresh melon and seasonal fruit for decoration. Adding dairy or non-dairy whipped cream on top or to cover the cake is totally optional.
These cakes are popular, because they contain no refined sugar, are gluten free and contain lots 0of fresh healthy fruit.
How to make watermelon fruit cake?
You have the option to make a melon cake that is a single layer or multi layer one.
Cover it with whipped cream, or just leave it plain. I much rather prefer the “naked” look.
This cake could be made with seedless (preferred) of seeded watermelon, yellow watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew melon.
- Slice a thick piece out of the center of a (seedless) watermelon and trim the rind off. Shape it into a perfect round by removing all the white rind, it is best if you can shape it so it represents a cake layer. If you want to add a second layer, cut a similar piece, but shape it smaller. In my case I had the option of using both pink and yellow watermelon, so the yellow layers were on top.
- Depending on the fruit you have, slice the (in my case) nectarine, create a kiwi into a flower and slice any large berries (like strawberries) if needed.
- Place the lower (larger) layer on a platter. Top with the second one. If you are concerned about the upper layer moving, insert a toothpick into the middle of the lower layer and stick the upper one onto it. (Make sure you remove any toothpicks or at least let people know of their presence before serving).
- Top the cake with berries, add the kiwi flower on top (if necessary secure it with a toothpick). Decorate with berries on the sides of the cake, secure the fruit with toothpicks.
What you need:
- Toothpicks to secure the cake layers (optional) and to attach the fruit for decoration.
- Berries – blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
- Sliced apples or nectarines
- Kiwi – as a “cake topper”
- Mint to add a hint of green
How long will this cake last? How shall I store it?
Just from looking at this cake, you can tell that is does not last long, refrigerate or freeze well.
This is a cake that should be made about a couple of hours, prior to consuming. Otherwise the watermelon will get soggy, watery and not very stable.
More recipes with watermelon:
- Watermelon Mojito
- Easy Watermelon Smoothie Recipe
- Watermelon and Feta Appetizer Bites